Monday 19 November 2012

The 'runner' behind the industry...

Following on from my previous post I decided to look forward into the industry I am inquiring about, and ultimately want to achieve. I discovered a fantastic article reported by the website www.wanttoworkintelevision.com and written by Louise McNamara, an experienced runner still working in the industry herself in her bid to reach the role of her dream job as a producer. She described the job of a runner, as 'entry level' for television media, and it definitely looks like a possible way in!
She goes on to describe the trials and tribulations the jobs entails, from distributing morning coffees and toast, to the joys of being involved in the production on set. Rather than making the tasks sound tough, I feel she depicts this role as being more repetitive, involving long days and really being a perfect reflection of the title - 'Runner'! Continuing to highlight these negatives in saying:

'The money is shocking. I figured out recently that I earned more working 36hrs in a video shop than I did working 60hrs a week as a runner. If you enjoy it enough you will find a way, although living on the breadline becomes a way of life.'

This is definitely a quote that would see most falling at the first hurdle, however this is a very similar situation we have all experienced within the performance industry. The insecurity and under payed employment is something that has become second nature. Though not ideal, like she says if you have enough passion for the job you will always find a way. This similarity between the two industries is definitely the requirement of a particular personality trait or skill which is transferable - determination.
In spite of this her article also shows support for the statement 'its not what you know, but who you know' when stating how she initially broke into this industry:

'I started out in a fairly conventional way. I was exceptionally fortunate to have a contact, my Mum’s best friend’s son, who was a post-production engineer at ITV. He got me a job as a post-production runner on ITV’s ‘Dancing on Ice’ programme.' 

A very lucky and convenient contact providing her a platform to the rest of her career - this I do not say lightly though as I very much do believe that without the right attributes and personality strength to endure this form of work, this industry it can be very short lived.

For all those interested in the television industry I would definitely recommend giving this article a read, The Real Life of a Television Runner, an extremely open and informative article with an informal tone - a great insight into another side of this fascinating industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment